Computer equipment has been democratized to the point where a large number of professionals now use a laptop. Add to this the explosion of the pandemic around the world, which has highlighted the importance of such a system. Julien Virey, co-founder of Laptop Rent, a company specializing in laptop rentals, advises those looking for reliable equipment for daily use with peace of mind.
A look back at Julien Virey’s career path
We can say that Julien Virey masters his subject. He holds a Master’s degree in Databases and Artificial Intelligence, Computer Technology and Computer Systems Technology. He started his career in France as a mobile developer. He is now a Linux administrator in a dynamic company, located on the other side of the planet, in the heart of the Indian Ocean.
All this to say that the laptop is without a doubt the most precious tool on which the co-founder of Laptop Rent can rely on. He says it himself: “Working in the field of development or even IT administration requires quality, robust, reliable hardware. The productivity of the user depends on it”.
The ideal laptop – a sketch of the ideal laptop
When Julien was asked to describe the ideal laptop, this is what came up:
When you invest in a laptop, you need to be able to rely on your hardware wherever you are and whenever you want. As for me, my computer not only allows me to work in the office, but I can also count on it to be on call. Whatever your use of such computer equipment, here are the basics to know:
- A sufficiently large amount of memory (RAM), in the range of 12G to 16G minimum;
- An SSD (solid-state drive) by default, to gain in speed, for example, when loading installed applications, but also for a lighter and more robust hardware, more economical in power consumption, thus better protected against overheating;
- A good quality screen, ideally a matt panel with a good resolution;
- Overall, equipment known for its quality and autonomy, capable of withstanding transport, which is not likely to be damaged after some handling (in and out of the transport bag, etc.).
Finding professional computer equipment in an island context like Mauritius
According to Julien Virey, if theMauritius is an innovative and modern country, paradoxically, it can be time-consuming and complex to find “the” laptop you need to work: “A few months before the pandemic, with the other members of Laptop Rent, we had already noticed some difficulties. What are they?
- The limited availability of quality material;
- The lack, not to say the absence of options whether in terms of SSD, ram, screen ;
- The high price of importing with the additional costs (transport + customs / intermediary + VAT) that can quickly make the initial investment explode: up to 30% more on the bill.
Laptop rental, a concrete, practical and economical solution
If Laptop Rent was initially intended to provide quality laptops to mobile professionals, the year 2020 and the confinement have sounded the death knell of this modus operandi, but also that of the face-to-face, practiced by millions of companies worldwide. Nomads and companies alike have found themselves having to continue to operate while ensuring their safety, and that of their employees for companies, with the implementation of work at home.
In any case, teleworking has allowed many employees to review their desires in terms of work space, to create an area that resembles them, to improve the existing one with, for example, adapted equipment (chair, desk…).
We can say loud and clear that being in the office is not a necessity for the progress of production, for the development of the company, for the development of the employees. Thanks to the laptop, working methods have become more fluid, with meetings by video, project management by tickets, etc.
Laptop rental is therefore a viable and even more economical alternative for companies wishing to integrate teleworking into their operations. They benefit from a support service, but also from a replacement guarantee for the rented equipment, if necessary. This formula also allows you to rent equipment by the month, by the day, etc.
Laptops have become an extension for modern professionals, so they shouldn’t be afraid to choose powerful hardware. If many obstacles can arise at the time of purchase, there is now the option of renting, a quick option to set up.