After a successful edition in Madagascar last October, it is now Mauritius’ turn to code to fight cybercrime. #RiSk[Solutions], Francophonie digital development competition on CyberSecurity, invites itself on the island from February 2 to 5, 2017, at BPML Cybertower1 in Ebène. You have until January 12 to register.
- student rate – Rs 500,
- professional rate – Rs 1 000
What is the #RiSk[Solutions]?
Like the hackathon, #RiSk (Recipes for IT Scripts and Kits) [Solutions] is an “innovathon”, the aim of which is to develop innovative digital solutions, designed to counter IT risks, a priority according to the government.
Organised by the Francophone Fund for Digital Innovation (FFIN), the #RiSk[Solutions] is a collaboration between the Outsourcing and Telecommunications Association of Mauritius (OTAM), the Mauritius IT Industry Association (MITIA) and the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCIFM).
The event is exclusively reserved for digital professionals, such as developers, designers, system administrators, etc. Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, be resident in Mauritius, and present themselves in a team of 2 to 5 people.
Prizes to be won
– 1st prize: 10,000 euros + support and monitoring of the team for one year, to improve and promote the solutions within the French-speaking world.
– 2nd prize: 6,000 euros + support and monitoring of the team for one year, to improve and promote the solutions within the French-speaking world.
– 3rd prize: 4,000 euros + support and monitoring of the teams for one year, to improve and promote the solutions within the French-speaking world.
The course of the event
- Official opening ceremony of the #RiSk competition[Solutions]. Once the competition is launched, participants will attend a training session on the scripts and computer kits provided. This information must be used in the coding of their digital solutions. This will be followed by the organization of the teams, the finalization of the choice of work themes, mentoring by the experts, and workshops*.
- The “innovathon” will take place over three days and one night. Teams will have 8 minutes, distributed as follows:
- 5min : presentation
- 3min: questions/answers, to present their projects in front of a jury that will distinguish the three winning prizes.
Why an “innovathon” on cybersecurity?
Michaëlle Jean, Secretary General of La Francophonie, has placed the year 2016 under the theme of “living together”, intended to promote the fight against extremism and radicalization in all their forms, in all Francophone countries.
Last February, the OIF organized an international conference in Côte d’Ivoire on the challenges of fighting cybercrime. At the same time, a plan of attack in the field of cybersecurity and cyberdefence was discussed.
To serve this noble cause, FFIN has launched the #RiSk[Solutions]. The event is organized in various French-speaking countries to allow French-speaking digital professionals and cybersecurity specialists to propose solutions to public administrations to fight against this phenomenon.
According to the Minister of Technology, Innovation and Communication (ICT), Etienne Sinatambou, access to the Internet would be the engine of this increase in cybercrime. This kind of initiative is welcome, because it demonstrates our ambition to fight a global phenomenon.