What would you do to improve the lives of Mauritians? This is the question that MCB asks to the future participants of InovApp. Presentation of this challenge intended to advance the banking sector in Mauritius and which will take place on May 12 and 13.
#InovApp Challenge, by MCB, for Mauritians!
With InovApp Challenge, MCB has set itself the mission of putting under the spotlight those individuals, developers, startups and SMEs willing to put their talent and knowledge at the service of Mauritian consumers. Through creativity, innovation and technology, they are invited to create new solutions for the national banking sector.
A much easier life thanks to technology
InovApp Challenge is the perfect opportunity for all individuals and companies to express their passion and ability to innovate in a concrete way. Thus, all participants are invited to produce an operational prototype, which will eventually allow Mauritians to enjoy the benefits of technology in their daily lives.
Different categories to exploit
Man has always innovated and this is even more true today, thanks to technology. InovApp is the perfect illustration of this, as the challenge proposes to participants to further improve the banking experience of Mauritians. Thus, applicants will be required to develop a prototype focusing on one of the following options:
- SME Challenge (Small and medium-sized enterprises)
- Cashless Payments
- My Options
- Millennials (Editor’s note: All people born between 1980 and 2000. Perceived as having specific sociological and behavioural characteristics, they are a particular target in the field of marketing – Source Wikipedia)
As this is a competition, the prototypes proposed by the participants will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Their degree of innovation and creativity
- Their functionality and UX (User eXperience)
- Their level of development
- Their relevance to the MCB
- The social impact of the idea
In addition to the pride of having participated in a challenge designed to make the lives of many citizens easier, InovApp Challenge also holds the promise (for the best innovations) of winning one of the three prizes awarded by the MCB, in partnership with IBM Cloud :
- Rs. 100,000 donated by MCB and the equivalent of US$1000 in IBM Cloud Credit
- Rs. 50,000 donated by MCB and the equivalent of US$1000 in IBM Cloud Credit
- Rs. 25,000 donated by IBM and the equivalent of US$1,000 in IBM Cloud Credit
Can I participate in the Inovapp Challenge?
First of all, please note that space is limited and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. Selected teams will be contacted and announced no later than one week before the event.
The MCB adds that registration, which is free of charge, in no way guarantees participation.
Those wishing to participate in the contest must note the following conditions:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Build a team of at least 3 and up to 5 people, ideally including a developer who knows and loves his job, creative minds, people with coding skills (no matter what language)
- It is possible to use open source libraries available elsewhere
- It is possible to use an API available online or to create a test API to program your prototype
- Bring your laptop, charger and all the necessary tools to take up the challenge… but also: comfortable clothes and everything necessary to feel good during this 24-hour race. As for his stomach, the MCB has provided snacks, drinks and of course large doses of caffeine!
- By joining this contest, everyone accepts the Conditions of Participation issued by the MCB for the Inovapp Challenge
How the Inovapp Challenge works
To get you in the mood, here is what will be waiting for the participants of this challenge:
12 May 2018:
9am – 10:30am: Opening of the doors and registration / Welcome message
10:30 am – Start of the competition
10:30 – 12:00 – Workshops (optional)
12:00 to 1:00 pm – lunch
15:30 – 16:00 – Break
4-6pm – Tutoring (optional)
7pm – 8:30pm – Dinner
23:30 – 00:00 – Break
13 May 2018:
6am – 7:30am – Breakfast
8am – 10am – Tutoring (optional)
10:00 – 10:30 – Break
12pm – Presentation of the prototypes
12pm – 2pm – Lunch
12:30 – 14:00 – Pitch to the jury: 5 minutes per team
2pm – Closing ceremony of the MCB InovApp Challenge
Address: MCB St Jean – St Jean Roundabout – Quatre Bornes
Schedule: Saturday, May 12, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. to Sunday, May 13, 2018, 2:00 p.m.
Good luck to all challengers and may the best ones win!